Carnival Carousel or Circus Cake Topper Tutorial
I made a DIY Circus Theme Cake Topper the other day for my daughter’s birthday cake. The little pompoms on top of the straws I used reminded me of a carousel. Plus, I was not only serving cake for her birthday, but cupcakes as well. It gave me the idea of making a Carnival Carousel with those little plastic animals you get at party supply stores. I went on a hunt, and came up with this Carnival Carousel or Circus Cake Topper tutorial.
- Plastic circus animals
- Craft paint
- Paint brushes
- Paper party straws
- Hot glue and glue gun
I found a bag of plastic animals at a local party supply store for $2.99 for a dozen.
I laid down some paper on my craft table and Mia and I painted each one a solid color.
We chose colors that reminded us of a carnival or circus. Some of the lighter colors needed two coats of paint, but they dried very quickly.
While the animals were drying I cut the party straws. Once in half, and then the half I cut in two, with one side slightly longer than the other.
I hot glued the animals onto the straws and also glued a fuzzy yellow pompom on top.
I used some as cupcake toppers.
I also used three of them as circus cake toppers and placed them in a circle to look like a carousel.
It turned out so cute!
Be sure to check out some of my other circus themed posts!
- DIY Circus Theme Cake Topper
- Carnival Theme or Circus Theme Party
- Party Top Hat Headband DIY
- Circus Carnival Theme Party Favors
Latest posts by Dinah Wulf (see all)
- Easy Mini Winter Scene in a Cloche - November 21, 2014
- My Craft Room: Inspiration, Creativity, & Tradition - November 20, 2014
- Ten Easy Elf on the Shelf Ideas - November 19, 2014
- Playhouse DIY Mini Makeover - November 17, 2014
- Easy Christmas DIY Ideas - November 14, 2014