I can’t believe that I found this ottoman on a recent thrift store shopping mission for five dollars! I couldn’t wait to get it home to get started on my makeover. Now, this post is more than a simple ottoman makeover, because there was one EXTREMELY annoying issue I had while trying to take it apart.
- Drop cloth
- Sander and sand paper
- Clean rags
- Spray paint
- Staple gun and staples
Here is what the ottoman looked like BEFORE. The fabric was damaged at the top and the legs and several nicks and scratches.
I turned it over to find that it would be easy to recover (do this before you buy it at the store).
One by one I pulled out what seemed like hundreds on staples.
Here is what it looked like underneath. Initially I was excited because it looked like it was going to be a quick and easy project. Next, at this point (I thought) all I needed to do was unscrew the top from the base and I can get to reupholster the cushion… WRONG!
I could NOT get the fourth and final screw out of this thing! I tried unscrewing it with a manual screw driver as well as a drill. I tried using a socket wrench. I even went to Home Depot and bought a screw extractor and THAT didn’t work. I ended up drilling around the hole and manually pulling t out with pliers.
I mean, look at it! Yikes!
And look at the giant hole! Oooops! BUT I got the sucker out. I figured it will be covered anyway and there are other areas where I can drill a new screw in.
Finally I was able to remove the top from the base. I first took the base and sanded it with an electric sander. You can see all the nicks and scratches.
After I wiped down the base with a clean rag to remove all the dust and debris, I spray painted it using a brushed metallic spray paint in an oil bronze finish. I wish I could capture the color better in the pictures, but it turned out great.
While the paint was drying I simply recovered the cushion in a more updated burlap printed fabric using a staple gun. It was super easy.
Once the base was dry, I screwed in the top to the base with four new wood screws and reused the black cover and staple it in for a finished look underneath. Here is an AFTER.