Homemade Halloween Ideas: DIY Tombstones
Looking for creative ideas for Halloween?
I wanted my front yard graveyard scene to look as realistic as possible. The Styrofoam tombstones that you can buy are too light weight, and can easily blow over, so I wanted to make my own.
Making your own tombstones is very easy, allows you to be creative, and doesn’t have to be perfect when you assemble them. They are inexpensive and sturdy, and if you have the room to store them, they will last a few years. Here is how I made them in three easy steps.
- Different sized cardboard boxes
- Duct tape
- Flat black spray paint
- Textured spray paint that looks like stone
- Plastic bugs (optional)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks (optional)
Start by stacking your cardboard boxes to create the desired shaped tomb stone and tape them together with duct tape. It does not matter if you can see the duct tape, it will be spray painted over. Again, the imperfections make it more ghoulish.
Next, spray paint the entire tombstone with flat black spray paint. Make sure the room is well ventilated or spray them outside. When it is completely dry, spray paint the entire tombstone again with the textured stone spray paint and allow it to dry completely.
Embellish your tombstone, by hot gluing plastic bugs, adding orange or red rhinestone eyes, or adding a headstone name or epitaph. Here are some epitaph examples from Haunt Your Home.
You May Also Like:
Halloween Costume Ideas:
- How to make a gory Headless man or Headless woman costume
- How to creep out your toddler’s costume
- How to make your own Angel or Butterfly Wings
- A step by step tutorial on Tea Staining clothing
DIY Halloween Decorations:
- Honor your Halloween party guests by making an Insane Asylum Patient Hall of Fame
- Tips for making the best Mad Scientist Specimen Lab
- Low cost ideas for a Pirate theme party
Latest posts by Dinah Wulf (see all)
- Minnie Mouse Birthday Party - September 2, 2015
- The GMC DIY Challenge is Live - September 1, 2015
- Smart DIY Ideas to Help Prepare Your Home for Fall - August 31, 2015
- How to Throw a Fabulous Glam-O-Ween Party - August 28, 2015
- How to Make Paper Pumpkins for Fall - August 26, 2015