Recycled Candle Holder Turned Bud Vase
Today I am sharing how I turned an old store bought candle into a painted stenciled bud vase. This super easy trash to treasure project makes a great gift or would even be a nice addition to a bedside table or table setting. Here is how I made this simple Recycled Candle Holder Turned Bud Vase.
- Old glass jar or candle jar
- Acrylic craft paint (2 colors)
- Foam paint brush
- Small paper plate or scrap paper
- Painter’s tape
- Decorative craft tape
Here is the BEFORE picture of when I cleaned and removed the old wax. Here are the step by step instructions on How to Remove Wax from a Glass. This wax removal tutorial takes time, but works very well.
Once your glass is clean and free from wax, tape off the top edge with Painter’s tape. This step is optional, but I like the look of it.
Using a paint brush, paint your glass the desired color. I used Martha Stewart’s gold metallic acrylic paint. Allow it to dry one hour in between coats. I ended up using four coats.
Add a decorative craft tape to the edge. I used gold sparkle tape to add a little bling!
Next, apply your stencil. I like to use adhesive stencils to prevent bleeding and they are quick and easy to use. Using a spouncer in an up and down motion, paint your glass. The less paint you use the better. Be sure to remove the excess paint onto your paper plate. You can remove the stencil right away and allow the paint to dry.
There you have it! Think twice before throwing away used candles, rather, get creative and upcycle it into a great gift.
Latest posts by Dinah Wulf (see all)
- Smart DIY Ideas to Help Prepare Your Home for Fall - August 31, 2015
- How to Throw a Fabulous Glam-O-Ween Party - August 28, 2015
- How to Make Paper Pumpkins for Fall - August 26, 2015
- A Dozen Uses for DIY Photo Clips - August 24, 2015
- Enter to Win the #TruliHome $25K Giveaway - August 21, 2015