Upcycled Children’s Play Table
One of my best friends gave me this Disney princess table when she moved. I loved the shape of the chairs and the storage pocket in the center; however it was a little worn from use.
I decided to take on this DIY project, paint it, and “glam” it up a bit with a Hollywood Regency style. This do it yourself project required painting it, adding seat cushions, a monogram, and a clear crystal knob. I had the primer, paint, and fabric from past projects already, so the total cost for this table and two chairs was less than $20.00.
Here is the after:
I decided to prime it first, even though the surface was already smooth due to the existing character design. I used a light sand paper to help remove a few old stickers, and cleaned the surface. Two coats of primer worked perfectly. When priming, make sure the paint is completely dry in between coats.
I painted both chairs and table with two coats of white paint. After is dried completely, I used painters tape to tape off my design. I painted the design, the storage cover, and the balls of the table legs and chairs blue.
After you paint is completely dry, I recommend painting the table top with polyurethane with at least two coats. It is added protection for it’s future marriage with crayons and markers!
Meanwhile, I used a circular wooden plaque, polyester fiber fill, and fabric for the seat cushions.
When stapling fabric onto the plaque, it’s best to keep the extra material and trim it after.
I glued the seat cushions to the chair with an extra strength wood glue and added a self adhesive monogram. I also added a few coats of decoupage medium to seal in the monograms.
Next, I reattached the storage bag and added a knob to the lid.
Here are some before and after pictures.
Since I didn’t have to buy paint or fabric, here is what I ended up spending. Not too shabby!
- Clear Plastic Knob - $2.97
- 2 Monogrammed Letters - $2.97 each
- 2 Wooden Plaques - $5.49 each
- Polyester Fiber Fill – $2.99 for one bag
Total Cost: $17.39 plus tax
Check out these other Before and After DIY Projects: