This article, Adding Color Outdoors: How to Plant Bougainvillea, is sponsored by Monrovia. All opinions are 100% my own.
With spring officially here, I’m starting to see the blooms in my front, side, and back yards. Near our pool however, we recently removed some trees that were overgrowing. The roots were starting to grow into our pool area and we were afraid they would eventually cause damage. Come to find out, the previous owners planted them to sell the property, however they were not planted in the right place. To fill on the blank space and add a pop of color, I thought I would beautify it with Monrovia Blueberry Ice Bougainvillea. Here is how to plant Bougainvillea.
These are the plants I chose. Aren’t they beautiful?
Monrovia grows the healthiest, highest-quality plants for you to create outdoor spaces that will thrive for years to come. I chose a beautiful purple color to complement what I already had planted. Their plants are nurtured with attention to every detail to ensure vibrancy and lasting beauty. Also, as a bonus, Monrovia gives a wealth of important plant information on their plant tags and on their website.
- Needs full sun in a hot and dry climate.
- Water weekly, and more when in bloom.
- Grows about 2-3 feet tall and 5-6 feet wide.
- Blooms Spring through Fall.
- Can be used for mass planting, ground cover, or in a container
How to Plant Bougainvillea
- Be sure that you are wearing garden gloves. Bougainvillea have thorns. First, I dug a hole two times the size of the pot.
- I prepared the soil by combining planting mix, soil, and starter fertilizer.
- Gently turn the turn the pot upside down placing your hand over the top of the pot. Gently shake the pot and the plant will come right out. Be careful not to damage the root system.
- Place the plant in the hole so that the top of the root ball is slightly above ground level.
- Back fill and pack the prepared soil gently but firmly.
- Water it to settle it.
Beautify You Space with Color
As you can see, these Blueberry Ice Bougainvillea added the perfect pop of color. Grow beautifully with me! Sign up for the Monrovia newsletter for more information, news, and to keep up with what’s in bloom. To purchase Monrovia plants check out Monrovia’s online store or by visiting your local Lowe’s or garden center.
Like it? Pin it!