DIY Craft Organization Board
This painting I found was in a pile of unwanted garage sale items about to hit the trash. Lucky for me, I was able to salvage a few of them before their journey to the garbage dump and ultimate demise. I am re-doing my office into a craft room…yay… and wanted to turn this old painting into a craft organization board. I made an organization board for my daughter’s room with an old painting and her first baby blanket, but for this one, I wanted to make it a little different. With a little tender loving care I literally turned this piece of trash into my treasure.
Here is a Before and After shot.
Materials You May Need:
- Old Painting (best if it’s free!)
- Paint or spray paint in the color of choice
- Paint brush
- Painter’s tape (optional)
- Material (amount depends on the size of the frame)
- Staple gun and staples
- Hammer and nails (depending on frame)
- Imagination (this one is free too!)
Step One: Disassemble your frame.
For this particular frame the canvas popped right out. It was nailed to the frame, so I had to carefully remove the nails. At this point I cleaned both the canvas and frame as best as I could.
Step Two: Paint your frame.
This frame has a fun natural fiber edge to it (score!) so I had to use painter’s tape to protect the edges. I used left over paint I had from other projects. Otherwise, I would have spray painted it because it would have been easier and faster. I applied two coats of paint.
Step Three: Cover the canvas.
While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I covered the canvas with some utility fabric that I bought using a staple gun. I added a pocket for extra storage, and ribbon as well. I played around with the ribbon until I got my desired pattern. I attached the ribbon using the staple gun as well.
Step Four: Reassemble the frame.
For this particular frame, I had to nail the canvas back onto the frame.
Here are a few After photos.
That’s it! This project was so fun for me, and now I have a fun piece for my new craft room! Sneak peek coming soon!
Latest posts by Dinah Wulf (see all)
- Frozen Fever Birthday Party Bunting - May 27, 2015
- Supporting Anti-Bullying: My Personal Story - May 26, 2015
- Repurposed Yoghurt Container Turned Succulent Pot - May 25, 2015
- 20 Cool Must Do Stenciling Projects - May 22, 2015
- DIY Accordion Paper Butterflies with ASTROBRIGHTS® Papers - May 20, 2015