DIY Craft Organization Board
This painting I found was in a pile of unwanted garage sale items about to hit the trash. Lucky for me, I was able to salvage a few of them before their journey to the garbage dump and ultimate demise. I am re-doing my office into a craft room…yay… and wanted to turn this old painting into a craft organization board. I made an organization board for my daughter’s room with an old painting and her first baby blanket, but for this one, I wanted to make it a little different. With a little tender loving care I literally turned this piece of trash into my treasure.
Here is a Before and After shot.
Materials You May Need:
- Old Painting (best if it’s free!)
- Paint or spray paint in the color of choice
- Paint brush
- Painter’s tape (optional)
- Material (amount depends on the size of the frame)
- Staple gun and staples
- Hammer and nails (depending on frame)
- Imagination (this one is free too!)
Step One: Disassemble your frame.
For this particular frame the canvas popped right out. It was nailed to the frame, so I had to carefully remove the nails. At this point I cleaned both the canvas and frame as best as I could.
Step Two: Paint your frame.
This frame has a fun natural fiber edge to it (score!) so I had to use painter’s tape to protect the edges. I used left over paint I had from other projects. Otherwise, I would have spray painted it because it would have been easier and faster. I applied two coats of paint.
Step Three: Cover the canvas.
While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I covered the canvas with some utility fabric that I bought using a staple gun. I added a pocket for extra storage, and ribbon as well. I played around with the ribbon until I got my desired pattern. I attached the ribbon using the staple gun as well.
Step Four: Reassemble the frame.
For this particular frame, I had to nail the canvas back onto the frame.
Here are a few After photos.
That’s it! This project was so fun for me, and now I have a fun piece for my new craft room! Sneak peek coming soon!
Have you signed up for my emails? I’d love it if you did!
Latest posts by Dinah Wulf (see all)
- Washi Tape Gift Wrapping - November 25, 2014
- Holiday Tips for a Beautiful Home - November 25, 2014
- DIY Christmas Card Display - November 24, 2014
- Easy Mini Winter Scene in a Cloche - November 21, 2014
- My Craft Room: Inspiration, Creativity, & Tradition - November 20, 2014