Hanging Pine Cone Decoration
My husband, daughter, and I went on a walk around the neighborhood the other day and I found the biggest pine cones I have ever seen in my entire life! HUGE! Naturally, I stole several from the neighbors and we quickly walked away (I mean, come on, they had a jillion of them lying under their ginormous pine tree). I decided to make a hanging pine cone decoration for the upcoming holidays. Here is a photo of one of the pine cones and a regular sized pine cone just so you can see what I mean!
See? I told you! Anyway, here is what you’ll need to do this:
- 5-6 of the biggest pine cones you can find
- A picture frame eye hook for each pine cone
- Beads (optional)
Tip: Avoid the sappy pine cones… way too sticky and annoying to work with.
This project is quite simple and fun to do with kids (especially the finding the pine cone part). When we got home, I rinsed the pine cones with water to clean them a little and get rid of any bugs because you never know! Simply screw in your eye hook to the center of the bottom of each dry pine cone and thread the ribbon through. I tied a pine cone to each end of the ribbon, hung them on a hook, and adjusted each length as I went along. I also added some plastic gems for some bling!
Tip: When you are trying to thread ribbon into a small hole, cut the ribbon in an angle to make it easier.
Here are a couple more pictures.
Latest posts by Dinah Wulf (see all)
- 20 Cool Must Do Stenciling Projects - May 22, 2015
- DIY Accordion Paper Butterflies with ASTROBRIGHTS® Papers - May 20, 2015
- Planting Succulents in Thrift Store Vases - May 19, 2015
- Easy Ways to Declutter and Improve Your Garage - May 18, 2015
- Photo Craft Project Ideas - May 15, 2015