How to Make Alcohol Ink Coasters with Fire Using the Bernzomatic ST2200T
This article, DIY Alcohol Ink Coasters, is sponsored by Bernzomatic. All opinions are 100% my own.
I have found that my hand torch has been quite useful in my craft experiments. In case you missed them, I have made all these unique craft projects using my Bernzomatic ST2200T.
- Learn a very simple technique to cut CDs and DVDs to make recycled crafts like this Resin Mosaic Tray with Recycled CDs and DVDs.
- Bend utensils with heat and make these DIY Repurposed Spoon Hooks.
- Upcycle an old metal planter to create an outdoor DIY Repurposed Mason Jar Chandelier with a succulent garden.
- Make these personalized photo Wood Burned Table Place Cards for your holiday table setting.
This time, I want to share how to make these beautiful and colorful tile coasters with alcohol ink. This is a fun craft you can do with your older kids under adult supervision.
Watch the Video
So neat, right? This 10-minute craft uses a simple technique and the result is gorgeous pieces of art that you can give as gifts and keep all to yourself. Here are the details.
Using Alcohol Ink with Fire
Time: 10 Minutes
- Cookie Sheet
- Tile Coasters
- Alcohol Ink
- 91% Isopropyl Alcohol
- Bernzomatic ST2200T
- 5 oz. Butane Cylinder
- Clear Glaze
First, line a cookie sheet with foil and place the ceramic tile in the center. Splatter the alcohol ink on top. We used three different colors. There is no right or wrong with this step. Use as much paint or as little as you’d like, the design is up to you.
Next, using a dropper, splatter the alcohol on top. Again, there is no right or wrong way to do this.
Lastly, carefully light the alcohol on fire with your Bernzomatic ST2200T hand torch. Allow the flame to burn off completely. The tile will be cool enough to touch almost immediately. The ink will also be dry to the touch.
To protect the tile, spray the top of it with clear acrylic glaze. If desired, you can also add felt circles to the bottom of the tiles so the coasters won’t slide on your tabletops.
The result for each tile is one-of-a-kind and is absolutely gorgeous!
- Only use Bernzomatic butane for your ST2200T.
- Keep the hand torch away from children and pets.
- If you are doing this craft with older kids, use strict adult supervision.
- Allow the torch to cool after use.